Tuesday 4 April 2017

The students' perspectives and Old Spring Wood: 04-04-2017

This week 17 NCVs made their first trip to Old Spring Wood, Summerbridge to do some woodland maintenance. There are a few photos of the day at the bottom of this entry but first let's hear from our three students, who were asked to pen their thoughts on their NCV placement to date.....

James:
Because I come from a farming background I love machinery. I find that I have done lots of similar work before that I do with the AONB, only with machinery not by hand. Although I prefer to use machinery I can see the benefits of having lots of NCVs all working together and how much they can achieve in a day.  I have taken part in tasks that have taught me new skills using hand tools such as hedge laying. Although I have seen the result of hedge laying before, I did not realise how labour intensive it is to do. I enjoyed working at Scar/Angram doing the footpath laying. I especially liked watching the various machines that were there: digger, dumper, tractor, trailer and how they were operated by the Footpaths Officer.

 James gets stuck in with a spade up at Scar.

James adds the final touches to the laid hedge.

Tom:
I enjoy working outdoors with the other students as a group. I like to keep fit and feel the working conditions help my health and fitness levels.The place I find most interesting is Hackfall Woods because of the size of the woods. Due to working at this site quite a few times, I think I have found my way around now. When we were clearing a vista I worked with Harry and James; we were climbing up a steep slope to cut down trees and branches. Because it was muddy I found it hard to climb up the slope so I used my own length of climbing rope, I attached the rope to a tree stump at the top and we were all able to climb up more quickly and easily. 

Scaling the heights to clear the vista...

...and what a vista!!

The task that taught me new skills was hedge laying – I had never heard of hedge laying before. I found the technique very precise and learnt how to use new tools such as the bill hook, although I preferred using the axe. My first impression of hedge laying was not very good because I didn’t realise how it would look but I thought the end result was very neat and tidy.
The lads learn how to pleach stems.

Harry:
My favourite day with the NCVs was the day we went to the army base at Ellington Banks. to do clearing tasks. It was interesting because there were used shells lying around and we saw army personnel doing training tasks. We did general clearing away of shrub but the best thing for me was being able to fell a tree. I enjoyed felling a tree because it was in my element of what I like doing. The reason why I enjoyed it was because it was where I live and I like working in my local area. Although I had felled trees before, James showed how to get the most precise cut to make it fall exactly where it wanted to go which I suppose was beneficial. I enjoy working outdoors (when the weather is nice)! It's good to work with the other students and meet other volunteers.

Harry gets to work on the unwanted trees.

He did a bit of that again today in Old Spring Wood.

And finally - from the day's task in Old Spring Wood....

Up on the top plantation redundant tree guards
 were removed...
.... and stacked.So many tubes!!

This tree was particularly glad to be freed of its corset!

Down in the main wood 2 teams pruned holly along the paths.
This allowed both Harry and James to demonstrate 
the ancient art of holly trampolining.


Excellent body posture James -
Yorkshire champion!



 Two other brash piles were constructed from wood 
that had been felled or had fallen.

Tree guards were also an issue in the main wood. 
Dozens had to be shifted uphill to where they can be transported away.

Now then girls - what are you doing under that fleece?
(Just looking at photos of my new grandson.)

No comments:

Post a Comment